(1) Jackson DV, Jr., Richards F, Cooper MR, Ferree C, Muss HB, White DR et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in small cell carcinoma of the lung. A randomized study. JAMA 1977; 237(25):2730-2733.
(2) Beiler DD, Kane RC, Bernath AM, Cashdollar MR. Low dose elective brain irradiation in small cell carcinoma of the lung. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1979; 5(7):941-945.
(3) Hansen HH, Dombernowsky P, Hirsch FR, Hansen M, Rygard J. Prophylactic irradiation in bronchogenic small cell anaplastic carcinoma. A comparative trial of localized versus extensive radiotherapy including prophylactic brain irradiation in patients receiving combination chemotherapy. Cancer 1980; 46(2):279-284.
(4) Maurer LH, Tulloh M, Weiss RB, Blom J, Leone L, Glidewell O et al. A randomized combined modality trial in small cell carcinoma of the lung: comparison of combination chemotherapy-radiation therapy versus cyclophosphamide-radiation therapy effects of maintenance chemotherapy and prophylactiv whole brain irradiation. Cancer 1980; 45(1):30-39.
(5) Eagan RT, Frytak S, Lee RE, Creagan ET, Ingle JN, Nichols WC. A case for preplanned thoracic and prophylactic whole brain radiation therapy in limited small-cell lung cancer. Cancer Clin Trials 1981; 4(3):261-266.
(6) Aisner J, Whitacre M, Van Echo DA, Wiernik PH. Combination chemotherapy for small cell carcinoma of the lung: continuous versus alternating non-cross-resistant combinations. Cancer Treat Rep 1982; 66(2):221-230.
(7) Seydel HG, Creech R, Pagano M, Salazar O, Rubin P, Concannon J et al. Prophylactic versus no brain irradiation in regional small cell lung carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 1985; 8(3):218-223.
(8) Niiranen A, Holsti P, Salmo M. Treatment of small cell lung cancer. Two-drug versus four-drug chemotherapy and loco-regional irradiation with or without prophylactic cranial irradiation. Acta Oncol 1989; 28(4):501-505.
(9) Ohonoshi T, Ueoka H, Kawahara S, Kiura K, Kamei H, Hiraki Y et al. Comparative study of prophylactic cranial irradiation in patients with small cell lung cancer achieving a complete response: a long-term follow-up result. Lung Cancer 1993; 10(1-2):47-54.
(10) Arriagada R, Le Chevalier T, Borie F, Riviere A, Chomy P, Monnet I et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remission. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87(3):183-190.
(11) Gregor A, Cull A, Stephens RJ, Kirkpatrick JA, Yarnold JR, Girling DJ et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation is indicated following complete response to induction therapy in small cell lung cancer: results of a multicentre randomised trial. United Kingdom Coordinating Committee for Cancer Research (UKCCCR) and the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC). Eur J Cancer 1997; 33(11):1752-1758.
(12) Laplanche A, Monnet I, Santos-Miranda JA, Bardet E, Le Pechoux C, Tarayre M et al. Controlled clinical trial of prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remission. Lung Cancer 1998; 21(3):193-201.
(13) Slotman B, Faivre-Finn C, Kramer G, Rankin E, Snee M, Hatton M, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in extensive small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 2007 Aug 16;357(7):664-72.