(1) Maurer LH, Tulloh M, Weiss RB, Blom J, Leone L, Glidewell O et al. A randomized combined modality trial in small cell carcinoma of the lung: comparison of combination chemotherapy-radiation therapy versus cyclophosphamide-radiation therapy effects of maintenance chemotherapy and prophylactiv whole brain irradiation. Cancer 1980; 45(1):30-39.
(2) Cullen M, Morgan D, Gregory W, Robinson M, Cox D, McGivern D et al. Maintenance chemotherapy for anaplastic small cell carcinoma of the bronchus: a randomised, controlled trial. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1986; 17(2):157-160.
(3) Einhorn LH, Crawford J, Birch R, Omura G, Johnson DH, Greco FA. Cisplatin plus etoposide consolidation following cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine in limited small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 1988; 6(3):451-456.
(4) Controlled trial of twelve versus six courses of chemotherapy in the treatment of small-cell lung cancer. Report to the Medical Research Council by its Lung Cancer Working Party. Br J Cancer 1989; 59(4):584-590.
(5) Spiro SG, Souhami RL, Geddes DM, Ash CM, Quinn H, Harper PG et al. Duration of chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer: a Cancer Research Campaign trial. Br J Cancer 1989; 59(4):578-583.
(6) Byrne MJ, van Hazel G, Trotter J, Cameron F, Shepherd J, Cassidy B et al. Maintenance chemotherapy in limited small cell lung cancer: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Br J Cancer 1989; 60(3):413-418.
(7) Ettinger DS, Finkelstein DM, Abeloff MD, Ruckdeschel JC, Aisner SC, Eggleston JC. A randomized comparison of standard chemotherapy versus alternating chemotherapy and maintenance versus no maintenance therapy for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: a phase III study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 1990; 8(2):230-240.
(8) Mattson K, Niiranen A, Pyrhonen S, Holsti LR, Holsti P, Kumpulainen E et al. Natural interferon alfa as maintenance therapy for small cell lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 1992; 28A(8-9):1387-1391.
(9) Lebeau B, Chastang C, Allard P, Migueres J, Boita F, Fichet D. Six vs twelve cycles for complete responders to chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer: definitive results of a randomized clinical trial. The "Petites Cellules" Group. Eur Respir J 1992; 5(3):286-290.
(10) Giaccone G, Dalesio O, McVie GJ, Kirkpatrick A, Postmus PE, Burghouts JT et al. Maintenance chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer: long-term results of a randomized trial. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11(7):1230-1240.
(11) Bleehen NM, Girling DJ, Machin D, Stephens RJ. A randomised trial of three or six courses of etoposide cyclophosphamide methotrexate and vincristine or six courses of etoposide and ifosfamide in small cell lung cancer (SCLC). I: Survival and prognostic factors. Medical Research Council Lung Cancer Working Party. Br J Cancer 1993; 68(6):1150-1156.
(12) Sculier JP, Paesmans M, Bureau G, Giner V, Lecomte J, Michel J et al. Randomized trial comparing induction chemotherapy versus induction chemotherapy followed by maintenance chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer. European Lung Cancer Working Party. J Clin Oncol 1996; 14(8):2337-2344.
(13) Beith JM, Clarke SJ, Woods RL, Bell DR, Levi JA. Long-term follow-up of a randomised trial of combined chemoradiotherapy induction treatment, with and without maintenance chemotherapy in patients with small cell carcinoma of the lung. Eur J Cancer 1996; 32A(3):438-443.
(14) Schiller JH, Adak S, Cella D, DeVore RF, III, Johnson DH. Topotecan versus observation after cisplatin plus etoposide in extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: E7593--a phase III trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19(8):2114-2122.
(15) Hanna NH, Sandier AB, Loehrer PJ, Sr., Ansari R, Jung SH, Lane K et al. Maintenance daily oral etoposide versus no further therapy following induction chemotherapy with etoposide plus ifosfamide plus cisplatin in extensive small-cell lung cancer: a Hoosier Oncology Group randomized study. Ann Oncol 2002; 13(1):95-102.